Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 12th, 1998: Blacktop Cadence, Jejune, GlenmontSoundSystem, Epstein, Speedwell @ UMBC Commuter Cafe, Baltimore, MD

I don't remember how I first got hooked up with Eva from Fata Booking but I did a lot of shows for her and I believe this was the first one. I thought Blacktop Cadence was decent, but I was a huge Hot Water Music fan (still am of everything up to No Division) so I was happy to book them. I didn't know much about Jejune accept that all the indie nerds loved them. I wasn't too hip to the indie scene in the area at the time so I'm pretty sure Joe Mitra was the one that suggested the three locals that played. Drew Thiemann may have had a hand in helping as well. GlenmontSoundSystem was Joe's band. I think Boson Au was in that band as well. I don't remember much about Epstein or Speedwell. Did anyone from those bands go on to do anything else? I have a feeling that Scott Cullum, from Bridgewater, made this flyer, but I could be wrong. That first Blacktop Cadence record was pretty good, but I couldn't get into the follow up at all. If we're talking HWM side-projects, I'll take Rumbleseat any time. Good stuff.

Upon further investigation, it appears there was only one Blacktop Cadence full-length. I was thinking of the song from the Emo Diaries comp, "Cold Night In Virginia". That's a great song and I was kinda bummed that nothing on the full-length really came close to it.

4 comments:

GraveMistakeRecords said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GraveMistakeRecords said...

pretty sure one of the dudes in glenmont sound system was in Q and not U. epstein was a part of a weird annapolis / anne arundel county indie rock scene that i didn't know too much about until early 2000's when i ended up working with a guy who was in a band called Challenger Commission and did shows in his parents basement in arnold (i think his brother was also in Q and not U coincidentally).

Anonymous said...

Harris from Glenmount Sound System went on to Q and not U. He also married Kristy Werner from UMBC, they were the cutest!

Mike Riley said...

Kristy was/is the coolest. I haven't seen her in years.