Monday, March 1, 2010

April 29th, 1997: Fugazi, Prisoner of Conscience, Top Notch @ UMBC Ballroom, Baltimore, MD

This was the 2nd time that Fugazi played at UMBC while I was there. The first time was with Slant 6 and Onespot Fringehead a year (maybe two) prior. The thing I remember about that first time was all the Bowie and Annapolis kids yelling for Minor Threat songs and getting yelled at by Ian. A stern "NO!" was all it took. My two memories from this show were:
1) meeting John Frank cuz he was wearing the shirt of a band that played DC the night before but I missed cuz I couldn't get a ride to the show. I wanna say it was either Snapcase or Vision of Disorder. John might remember.
2) working the door and Ian bringing out their three or four leftover vegan pizzas to share with the staff and hanging out and chilling with everyone.
I wanna say it was George from P.O.C. that set this show up. I remember him being a big Go Go fan, hence the addition of Top Notch to the show. This was also the last time I saw Fugazi as I had to miss their Baltimore show with Lungfish and their final Fort Reno show for various, albeit probably worthless, reasons.

4 comments:

Captain J.mo said...

I think this was the second time I saw them. I met Doug Williams for the first time, talked to Guy about coming up to my radio show in Harford County before the show, and ended up going deaf for two days due to standing in front of the stage left speaker stack. Not great openers, but I remember this being a pretty crucial set.

baby sea tuna said...

Yeah, one of those assholes that were yelling at the '96 show was some guy that turned out to be friends of one of my roommate's bandmates at the time (Preston, I think was his name.) I yelled at him for being an asshole when I found out, but it can't be any worse than being called out by Ian McKaye.

just plain adam said...

I thought Fugazi were great this evening and I know george john chip and I could not be more happy to do this show.As usual there were some skeptics about wanting to see them play there classic tunes but in true fugazi style they had new demons to excersize and I for one was happy to see whats new......

just plain adam said...

I remember Fugazi being great this evening as always playing what was new or yet unrecorded.Almost everytime I saw this band they were doing the newest material,which seemed to really piss off all the supposed devout fans.Anyway I can tell you this was infact a big deal for us prisoners of consciencewe were infact one of the local underdogsand would get a shot here or there but not from to many Mike Riley often took great care of us and we havent forgotten.THANX