Thursday, September 9, 2010

February 6th, 1999: In My Eyes, Ten Yard Fight, Brother's Keeper, Reach the Sky @ Phantasmagoria, Wheaton, MD

We're back! (No lie, Youth of Today came on my iPod while typing this.) Sorry for the delay but I generally only have time to work on these posts at work and things have been pretty busy around here lately. Our busy season is slowing down however so hopefully I can get back to regular updates here. Thanks for all the encouraging words over the interim. Enjoy.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the final flyer for this show. As you can see above this show was originally slated to be held at the Chop Shop, but as you read in the last post the venue got shut down, so we had to scramble to find new venues for all of our shows. I don't remember how many shows I'd been to at Phantasmagoria in Wheaton, MD (a suburb of DC) before this but this definitely wasn't my first experience with the venue. It was a pretty cool coffee shop / record store with a good sized stage in it. I definitely saw some pretty cool shows there. (It's now a place called the Charles Gilchrist Cultural Center. No shows there as far as I know.) Jamie Arthurs secured the venue for this show with a week's notice. I don't remember the exact turnout for this one but it was pretty good. Definitely a room full of kids getting their pile-ons and stagedives on. I was super psyched on all of these bands at this time so I had a blast. I know there was a fifth band and I think it was Redline, who I may have mentioned before featured people that went on to play in the Chase and FVK DC. Any time I put "special guest" on a flyer, it had nothing to do with hyping up some secret act, but a nod to one of the funniest movies of all time, Fear Of A Black Hat. I know Alex D will understand. It was a real bummer that the Chop Shop got shut down but I was really happy that we were able to pick up and move on and get just about every show moved to a new venue.

4 comments:

guido said...

I believe also that it was Redline, because the singer was a kid from Wheaton. We used the footage from In My Eyes and Ten Yard Fight on the Step One Videozine. - guido

Mike Riley said...

Yes! That was it. Thanks Guido!

humananimal814 said...

I have footage of Reach the Sky, In My Eyes, and ten yard fight from this show that I'm upping to youtube tonight. user: humananimal814

Also footage of bk, jamie, and you at a chinese restaurant afterwards.

Hope you're well homie! - EMS

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjaxFC06HZ_Ti6aZ2L1bAQw

humananimal814 said...

I have footage of Reach the Sky, In My Eyes, and ten yard fight from this show that I'm upping to youtube tonight. user: humananimal814

Also footage of bk, jamie, and you at a chinese restaurant afterwards.

Hope you're well homie! - EMS

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjaxFC06HZ_Ti6aZ2L1bAQw