Wednesday, September 22, 2010

April 23rd, 1999: Zegota, Page 99, De Nada, Hiretsukan, Haddonfield @ Stamp Student Union, UMD, College Park, MD

Let's see here...I remember catching Haddonfield and seeing Colin play drums for the first time and being really impressed. Wait, I think I probably saw Colin play drums for Disbelief, but my memory is a little hazy there. Anyway, Colin was young and he was a beast. He went on to play drums for Most Precious Blood and the reformed Damnation AD. Joe Denney sang if I remember correctly. Solid line up of locals. Good heavy band. I think there was a demo. I didn't care much for Hiretsukan or Zegota and De Nada and Page 99 were great as usual. I know there were a few shows at the Stamp Student Union, which I don't think exists anymore, but I think this was the only one I caught there. My memory sucks. Someone help me out with better details of this show.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Stamp Student Union still exists but I have no idea if they still do shows. This show was before the huge amount of renovations they did to the building so the actual room may not exist any more. Generally shows at the Union were in the Food Co-op, so this one being in the Tortuga Room was actually pretty rare. Oh yeah, I was there too.

Mike Riley said...

Thanks Ryan. I messed up there. I meant to say that I'm not sure if the Tortuga Room still exists. I knew the Union still existed. Someone help me out on the correct Haddonfield line up.

Mike Riley said...

Update on the Haddonfield line up from band member Kevin Herdeman...

"Paul [Aquilino] played guitar and so did I, Joe Denny played bass, Colin drums and John Frank sang at this point."

Thanks Kev!

Anonymous said...

the tortuga room shows were pre-co op shows. this was when the co-op was still located in the basement (with no room for shows). the area where the co-op shows took place was a campus dining hall before that. there was a campus group that did shows in whatever available union rooms were available, usually the tortuga room was for smaller "local" shows, and for bigger events they used one of the upstairs ballrooms.