Friday, May 21, 2010

November 21st, 1998: Torn Apart, the Jazz June, Codeseven, Reach the Sky, All Else Failed, Last Days of August @ the Chop Shop, Baltimore, MD

On the left side we have a calendar of upcoming shows at the Chop Shop, including Karl Core's version of the Fall Brawl which featured Breakdown in their first Baltimore appearance in many years. I have flyers for most of the other shows on there coming up so those will get discussed when the time comes. On the right side we have the flyer for the Adam Doll benefit show. Adam was the orginal bass player for Dillinger Escape Plan who was paralyzed in a car accident. Promoters around the country began setting up benefit shows to help ease his financial burdens from his mounting medical bills. Jamie Arthurs put this one together. My old friend Dana from Bound was playing drums for Reach the Sky at the time so it was cool to get to see and catch up with her. I was working at 98 Rock at the time manning the boards for Dee Snyder's syndicated show, "House of Hair", which aired from 10pm to midnight every Saturday, which meant I had to leave a lot of shows early to get to to work. Because of that I left sometime during Codeseven's set and missed the Jazz June and Torn Apart. I can't remember who the "+ more" bands were. Last Days of August were a pretty good emo/rock band from Long Island. When I started at UMBC in the fall of 1994 I met this lacrosse player who lived on my floor who commented on my Vision of Disorder t-shirt. Turns out he was from Long Island and was into hardcore and sang in a band. I never would have guessed it by looking at him. He gave me the 7" which was pretty cool but then I heard a song on some comp (maybe "The Difference Between Us" on Goodfellow) that I really liked so it was cool to see them play the Baltimore area a couple of times.

4 comments:

thejamminjabber said...

I remember that show, although I forgot it was a benefit for Adam. I'm a huge Dillinger fan (actually just did an interview w/ Ben: http://chuckpalahniuk.net/interviews/musicians/ben-weinman) so it was nice to be reminded of that. I played guitar in Last Days. That was a long time ago. :)

Mike Riley said...

A long time ago indeed. Please tell Sal that I said hello if you keep in touch with him.

Dan said...

I was at that show, I think I bought my last days shirt there, (Bowling for the pink team", what does that mean anyway?
:)

thejamminjabber said...

Haha. Bowling for the Pink Team was just some euphemism for being gay, because according to some, being in an "emo" band automatically made you gay.