Wednesday, May 26, 2010

December 12th, 1998: Kid Dynamite, Kill Your Idols, Fortitude, Daybreak, Lanemeyer @ the Chop Shop, Baltimore, MD

I've got a cool silk-screened poster of this show somewhere in my basement, though I'm not sure who made it. I'll try to get a pic of it up soon. There is footage of this show on the Kid Dynamite DVD. It's of Chris Penna singing along to the wrong part and getting busted for it by Jason. This show was super fun. I think Daybreak may have cancelled, or not shown up cuz they thought it was an evening show. Can't remember exactly. Lanemeyer were a pretty cool poppy punk band from NJ. I only know of one record they released but it had some pretty catchy songs on it. Not sure what any of the members did afterwards. Fortitude were one of those bands that weren't all that good but they had lots of friends in high-ish places so they always seemed to be on tour with cool bands. They were out with KYI at this time. I'm really glad that the Chop Shop made it on to that DVD. It's kinda like the scene of Minor Threat playing in Baltimore in "Another State of Mind". Maybe not quite the same level, but kids interested in Kid Dynamite 20 years from now will get to catch a glimpse of the place and that makes me smile.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think one of the guys from Lanemeyer is/was in the Gaslight Anthem

Jake! said...

whoa this rules i will buy that poster if/when you find it.

Mike Riley said...

Thanks John. I guess I should learn to reference Wikipedia when I don't know what members of a band did later on. Apparently Gaslight Anthem's frontman, Brian Fallon, did play in Lanemeyer towards the end. He was definitely not in the band at the time of this show though.

Jake, I'll post a pic of it but I won't part with it. Sorry.

Jason Contino said...

I actually shot the footage of that show that made it on the kid dynamite dvd. I shot a few shows at the chop shop for a video zine I put out at the time with Guido.

Mike Riley said...

That rules Jason. I still have my copy of the video zine you guys did. I'm trying to remember what it was called. New Direction?

Unknown said...

Hey, I knew that without Wiki! A friend of mine always jokes about killing him onstage ala Dimebag and yelling and yelling "You ruined Lanemyer!!".

penna said...

I am still red in the face about that one. But hell I think that was the day that I first met you. Maybe?