Thursday, October 7, 2010

August 6th, 1999: Chernobyl Kids, Bionic Man, What Lies Ahead @ Joe's Movement Emporium, Mt. Rainier, MD

This was a nice little local show at a new venue. I'm not sure if this was the first show at Joe's or not. I think John Mutchler set it up, but I could be wrong. Joe's Movement Emporium was a dance studio near DC that became a pretty regular venue for hardcore shows for a few years. What Lies Ahead were a great "negative youth crew" band featuring Trevor from Longshot on vocals, Dave and Tem from De Nada on guitar and bass, and Matt Moulis from Emerge on drums. They were great. Steve from the First Step released their 7" on his short-lived label, Urgency Records. Grave Mistake later bought his remaining copies and re-released it with a new cover. Definitely look for that one if you don't already own it. Bionic Man were a band that seemed most active in the late 90s/early 2000s but seemed to pop back up every now and then over the following years. They had a cool sound that mixed gruff melodic stuff like Hot Water Music with more traditional fast hardcore. I know they have a few recordings out there but I don't own any. The main guy behind the band, Shane, is a stellar dude and an excellent guitar player. He's been playing in some metal bands lately from what I understand. Chernobyl Kids were a fairly new band made up of Funny from the Pee Tanks, John from Crew Jones (later the Aftermath, No Justice), Steve from Longshot (later No Justice, 86 Mentality), and Matt from SQUID. They were an awesome Dag Nasty-ish sounding band. They released a demo, a split 7" with my old band, Looks Like Rain, and a full-length CD that I highly recommend seeking out. One of my all-time favorite area bands. Cool show.

No comments: