Friday, May 18, 2018

May 20, 2000: Kitty Badass, The Deacons, The Pac-Men, Tomorrow We Die, Looks Like Rain @ Newtown Teen Center, Newtown, CT

A week later and Looks Like Rain is up in Connecticut for a show in Newtown, a town to later become known nationwide as the location of one of the worst school shootings in American history. (Sadly coincidentally, I'm writing this post on the day of yet another school shooting in the U.S.) I don't remember much from this show except that I bought a cassette copy of "Age of Quarrel" off of someone selling a bunch of used records and tapes. Still have it. The Pac-Men were a rad hc/punk band, that I just realized featured ex-Pist member, and future WarXGames drummer, Brian Marshall on vocals. Neat little round-about Baltimore connection.

4 comments:

Jere said...

I made this flier. (Bass player in The Pac-Men.) I remember there were just so many "serious" fliers, I always liked to make mine funny. I was trying to do a Ralph Wiggum quote that matched each band name in this case, but I was only somewhat successful at it.

Thanks for posting this, and if you go to my now-defunct Red Sox blog and search Pac-Men, you'll find some other Pac/Pist-related stuff.

(Brian and I quote to this day the little brick that Looks Like Rain painted at Newtown Teen Center: "can't be posi all the time." I don't know why that struck us as hilarious but it did.)

Jere said...

Okay I see now you are FROM Looks Like Rain! Do you remember doing that brick?? It was like a brick wall where people did "murals" on each brick. I still don't know why I thought that line was so funny but thanks for giving us a lifelong memory. It's like, Hey, it's gonna fuckin' rain sometimes, wipe that smile off your face for once! I love it.

Mike Riley said...

Oh wow, thanks for the comments Jere. I wish I could say I remember doing that brick, but my memory is awful. That was a "slogan" we used since it was the tail end of the "posi-core" revival and it fit the band name. Glad it stuck with you.

Jere said...

Cool. I might have to go see if it's still there. I know from some more recent vids that the main room got redecorated. I hope they wouldn't have painted over those little murals!