Sunday, February 5, 2012

September 19, 2000: Pollen, Choker, Fairweather, Looks Like Rain, Velvet @ the Sidebar, Baltimore, MD

Again, one of these things is not like the other and Looks Like Rain gets put on a show more out of our love for good pop/rock than a similar sound to the other bands. Pollen were a rad poppy band from Arizona. The first song ("Pollen") on their last full-length (Chip) is still an all-time favorite. Choker were a too-short-lived Doughboys-ish band from Baltimore featuring Dwayne from Latebloomer/Cross My Heart, Chris Camden from Cross My Heart, and a few others I forget, except the singer, Kevin, though I don't know if he did any other bands. They were pretty great. I loved Fairweather's demo, solid catchy pop/rock, but I couldn't get into much more than a few songs after that. Still, great dudes, and people still love that band to this day. I think they recently reformed or maybe just played some reunion shows. Velvet were from northern VA if I remember correctly, but I don't remember what they sounded like. Craig Boarman booked the show and I made the flyer. Coincidentally, the guy who made that drawing, which was scanned from a City Paper article, is the same guy who did the cover art for Ruiner's What Could Possibly Go Right? EP and a bunch of Misery Index records.

No comments: