Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pack Rat or Archivist?

For as long as I've been going to shows I've been saving the flyers for them. Partly out of a need to have a keepsake or memento and partly out of an appreciation for the often hard work and artistic appeal. I've got folders full of them, though I unfortunately somehow lost everything I had pre-April 1997. That's a real bummer cuz there were some great City Gardens, University of the Arts, Fieldsboro Fire Hall, and more show flyers in there. Oh well, life goes on. I've often thought about taking the time to digitize all of these flyers and present them for others to see. Some people from Baltimore started the Dead Venues blog, dedicated to archiving the history of this city's underground music and the people and places that gave it homes. I recently wrote up a history of the Supreme Imperial/Chop Shop and offered to scan a bunch of flyers for the place for them, and due to that, I finally had my excuse to start digitizing all of my old flyers. So here I present to you a gallery of this collection, along with some photos that I've taken over the years, and maybe the occasional odd and end as they come up. Look for daily posts to keep you entertained. Please feel free to help me fill in the blanks or share your memories of these shows or the people involved.

No comments: